Historic buildings can make for some fantastic commercial properties thanks to their eye-appealing architecture. Unfortunately, the electrical wiring inside of these buildings tends to be outdated, which can put a lot of strain on your modern appliances, electronics and lighting fixtures. Older circuits simply were not designed to power today's electronics. In all honesty, this is one of the many reasons that there are fires in older and historic buildings. Due to the fact that signs of problems are hidden behind the drywall, it can be difficult to know when you have an issue until it is too late. However, here are few commercial wiring issues that may be hiding in the walls of your building.
Many older buildings have a type of wiring called knob-and-tube wiring. As a general rule, this particular form of wiring does not pose an issue. However, it does pose a risk when the insulation on the wiring wears away, when the wiring is covered in building insulation, or when it is not installed properly.
Low Amp Wiring
Old wiring is often rated for much lower amps than what is required by modern business equipment and appliances. As a result, circuits can often become overloaded, leading to electrical fires. One solution for this in older properties is to replace the breakers with arc-fault circuit interrupters, as these AFCIs will break the circuit as soon as an electric arc is detected in an effort to prevent a fire.
Old Insulation on Wire
For wiring that has been in the building for some time, it is unlikely to be perfect. Over time, it is likely to have been damaged by nails and screws being placed in the walls, chewed on by animals, disintegrated, or become brittle from age. Unfortunately, this results in the actual wire being exposed, which could lead to sparks and a dangerous electrical fire.
Generally, the wiring is the problem in older buildings. However, the panel can also pose a risk if it has not been updated recently. If this is the case, the breakers and switches could be faulty in addition to the wiring. If these are not working properly, the building's electrical system will be unable to function efficiently, posing a serious risk.
These are just a handful of the problems that can arise from commercial wiring in an old building. If your business is in an old or historic building or if you are considering purchasing an old or historic building to start a business in, it is important to hire a commercial wiring service to thoroughly assess the condition of the wiring to ensure there are not any serious fire hazards.Share